Looming Election Brings Back Same Old GOP SOP: Voter Caging, Voter Suppression and Undermining Democracy
A huge story is breaking about a massively coordinated attempt by the Wisconsin GOP, the group Americans for Prosperity and a coalition of Tea Party teabaggers to suppress the vote in that state among minorities and students. Major elements of the story so far can be found on DailyKos in a diary by xofferson and a follow-up by One Wisconsin Now.
Voter suppression, particularly through means of voter caging, has been a major weapon in the GOP's arsenal and is brought to bear against citizens particularly likely to vote Democratic -- or at least almost guaranteed to not vote Republican.
ePluribus Media has covered this topic extensively in the past, and below the fold you'll find a list of many of our past pieces, showing elements that tie together voter suppression strategies such as voter caging along with manipulation of the DoJ (particularly the Voting Rights division) and US Attorneys, who'd be the ones who'd have to investigate any claims of irregularities -- real, imagined or fabricated on the backs of tea-stained elephantine fat cats.
If the Wisconsin voter caging story intrigues, interests, offends and angers you, then take a deep breath and venture forth for a more in-depth range of topics that really illustrate just how far the GOP will go in order to compromise democracy and to promote their party, partisan politics and political power over the interests of the nation and her people. The list begins immediately...
... previously under utilized and relatively unenforced motor voter laws. From the Op Ed pages of the NY Times:
A Welfare Check and a Voting Card
The National Voter Registration Act of 1993 , better known as the motor-voter law, is ... itty-bitty-change, Participatory Democracy, US News, voter caging, voter registration) ...
Commentary - Connecticut Man1 - 08/12/2010 - 11:07am - 4 comments - 0 attachments
... hearing before cancelling the registration of any voter in response to an individual's challenge to their voter registration . . . The directive also states that Boards may not cancel ...
Commentary - rba - 09/16/2008 - 9:00am - 1 comment - 0 attachments
... official in a dispute with the state Republican Party over voter registrations.
The justices on Friday overruled a federal appeals ... Mouse and Acorn! "
I say... " GOP voter caging and voter suppression. "
"I'm astounded that this issue is ...
Commentary - Connecticut Man1 - 10/18/2008 - 8:27pm - 0 comments - 0 attachments
... quite a bit about and has written on often in the past: Voter Suppression:
Behind the Arizona Immigration Law: GOP Game to ... you like, tortillas.
Voter suppression and voter caging is a subject anyone that has followed ePluribus Media over the years ...
Commentary - Connecticut Man1 - 06/09/2010 - 1:35pm - 2 comments - 0 attachments
... from the press who is in a frenzy to cover the alleged voter fraud by ACORN?
A startling flurry of inspector general ... leave open the possibility of election-eve inquiries into voter registration drives, and they declare open season even on isolated ... to thwart attempts to suppress the minority vote through caging and other techniques, that could be as damaging as launching ...
Commentary - standingup - 10/15/2008 - 4:36pm - 10 comments - 0 attachments
ACLU Stops Illegal Voter Purges in Michigan
Voting in Michigan isn't easy or even ... Image cc
Secretary of State's "One Stop Voter Caging" Ends
Judge Karen Nelson Moore of the ...
Commentary - MichaelCollins - 11/01/2008 - 5:13am - 2 comments - 0 attachments
... known knowns and known unknowns of GOP dirty tricks like voter caging, redistricting ploys and possible vote manipulation, the GOP faces a ...
Commentary - GreyHawk - 08/30/2008 - 8:26am - 18 comments - 0 attachments
... Revolution, an activist group with the aim of exposing voter fraud and returning to paper ballets.
The voting machines, according ...
including the Whitehouse.gov
(also implicated in Palast Caging research)
Less than 1 in 10 million chance of that 2004 Exit Poll ...
Commentary - jamess - 10/05/2008 - 3:15pm - 13 comments - 0 attachments
... rubber ducky and a paddle.
Republican Hypocrisy and Voter Fraud Allegations
The blog DailyKos recently decided to have some ... Journal) touching on the science and practice of voter caging, disenfranchisement, suppression and fraud by the GOP:
Commentary - GreyHawk - 01/15/2008 - 1:38am - 2 comments - 0 attachments
... the basis for the Prosecutor Purge and certain political caging activity or to target "soft" political targets for coercion; there could ... of the big GOP efforts to invoke (and avoid) charges of voter fraud and manipulation:
Some of the previous items...
Commentary - GreyHawk - 06/04/2009 - 10:37am - 2 comments - 0 attachments
Fact checked, edited and sourced articles on the ePluribus Media Journal:
- 04-15-07 The Voting Rights Act, Voter Disfranchisement and the Tail Wagging the Dog.
- 05-07-07 Resurrecting Jim Crow: The Erratic Resume of the Voting Section Chief
- 05-11-07 Dismantling Voting Rights Enforcement
- 05-21-07 Voter Rights: Is Robert Popper the Fox Guarding the Henhouse?
And from the Community site, a whole bunch more:
- Keep Yer Vote Thievin' Hans Off (the FEC): Action Alert!
- Investigating Voter Fraud; Disenfranchising Voters -- Now Montana
- Voter Fraud and Fired U.S. Attorney Paul Charlton
- Those pesky U.S. Attorneys who refuse to investigate Voter Fraud
- Voter Fraud, U.S. Attorneys and Republican Integrity
- DOJ Civil Rights Lawyer Receives Cash Award for Suppressing Minority Voters
- Civil Rights Justices -- The real Scandal behind the US Attorneys
In addition, check out this list of US Attorney Daily Updates by cfaller96, which also appeared on the Commnity site.
Here are some links to fact checked articles on the ePluribus Media Journal:
- The original story, where we provided the who, what, where and important background onThe Gonzales Seven
- The background information on the March 2006 reauthorization of Patriot Act's effect and impact on how U.S. Attorneys are appointed, by ClammyC The Alberto Gonzales Appointments: How the Process Has Changed and Why this is so Important
- The lapse of Republican Senators McCain and Kyl's nomination of Diane Humetewa as a replacement for Gonzales Seven Charlton Alberto Gonzales: Gaming the System Again in Arizona?
On the ePluribus Media Community, check out these commentaries:
- Duke1676's speculation on the whys in The Gonzales Seven: Update and Thoughts
- A recap of what we knew about the replacements, with a chart to keep score The Gonzales Seven: The Replacement U.S. Attorneys
- Roxy's piece of Bogden, spotlighting his career as U.S. Attorney, The Gonzales Seven: Spotlight on US Attorney Daniel Bogden's Resignation
Yep -- luaptifer of ePluribus Media has also
been tracking Connell for a while. Here's one of the most recent:
And now, here's a list of additional related items:
- Ken Blackwell Outsources Ohio Election Results to GOP Internet Operatives, Again
- Ohio's election website still sent real-time results to GOP mirror server
- The GOP, GeorgeWBush.com and the line that jumped the Congressional Firewall
- Who is Michael L. Connell? Part I: The Atwater School of Politics
- Who is Mike Connell behind the firewall: Part II
- Rove -ing emails: what else could go missing?
- Any oversight by Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight - www.ofheo.gov?
- Que RICO? - Rove's Contempt of Congress and Connell's Indicted Elite
- Ohio Secretary of State Opposes Opening Lawsuit Alleging Theft of 2004 Election
- Matching Finger Prints: Amassing the Evidence of Electronic Vote Manipulation in Ohion 2004 and Florida 2000
- The Partisan Side of Mike Connell
- Connell, Rove and the GOP Boys, Positioned for McCain?
- Connell, Rove, and the GOP Boys, Positioned for McCain? - Discussion
- Who is Roy Cales and What's his Connection to Mike Connell?
- Bush Wackers Now Wacking for McCain
- Que RICO? - Rove's Contempt of Congress and Connell's Indicted Elite
- Rove Threat to Blackmail GOP IT Mastermind Triggers Immunity Request to Ohio AG by Election Lawyers
- Ohio Attorneys Seek Protection for Mike Connell and his Family against Alleged Threats from Karl Rove
- Where the Ohio 2004 Election RICO Lawsuit is Going, Interview With Attorneys Arnebeck and Fitrakis
- Our Day in Court: Research into Ohio's 2004 Election Misdeed Finally Bearing Fruit
- FreePress: Behind the firewall: Bush loyalist Mike Connell controls Congressional secrets as his email sites serve Karl Rove
- BradBlog: Ohio Attorney Files to Lift Stay on '04 Election Case, Cites Allegations, Evidence of Massive Fraud by a Number of GOP Operatives
- RawStory: GOP cyber-security expert suggests Diebold tampered with 2002 election
- VelvetRevolution.US: Several commentary and original video posts
That's all, folks. For now.
If you've read even a fraction of the stories listed above and still maintain the impression that the GOP, the Republican National Committee, institutes like Americans for Prosperity or the Heritage Foundation and faux-grassroots movements like the Tea Party are actually interested in the restoration of the nation, of rights and freedoms, then you haven't been paying attention.