Find out more about ePluribus Media.

Trending on ePluribus Media

Home

economy

The French newspaper Le Monde reports 1.5 million living the American dream on $2 a day

Written by an American Expat who holds an M.B.A. degree living in the E.U.
My email address is: democratsramshield (at)yahoo (dot)com

Surely the death of the American working class dream is not news to the American 1 percent elites. The truth be known simply put they like it that way, as they surely are the architects of the GOP led class warfare against the American working class.

(The Statue of Liberty in the photo below is located in Paris, France and is believed to have become emblematic as the American dream now resides in Europe instead of America). Make the jump»

Delusional & Deceptive: Artificially Created "Issues" Causing Real Problems

Originally posted as a note on my Facebook page.

The long & short of the ongoing "fiscal crisis" is that it is, at this point, an artificially manufactured crisis that is causing serious real-world issues. The delusion & deceptive "national conversation" that the traditional media insists on promoting isn't helping.

Case in point: a piece from the Washington Post1 makes the following statement:

Ideally, the budget environment for weather and climate research wouldn’t be an either/or situation. State of the art computing resources should be available to both areas.But during a time when our nation faces a fiscal crisis and the government is having to make tough choices about what the highest priorities are - leadership within NOAA and Congress should take a close look at the balance of resources...

There are a couple of things wrong with that. The first one that leaps out and grabs my face like one of the creatures from Alien is "during a time when our nation faces a fiscal crisis" - really? Simply letting the Bush-era tax cuts for the rich expire would substantially resolve that, but the fiscally feral Republican, Tea Party & Libertarian extremists keep pushing for more tax breaks for the wealthy...hoping, apparently, that the rest of the nation is either too pre-occupied or distracted to notice just how much damage that those tax cuts have done, or who has benefited. Make the jump»

A Message to Joe Biden

I received an email from the Barack Obama campaign this morning - specifically addressed as if it was from Vice President Joe Biden - asking if I'd be willing to send in $5 for a chance at a drawing to enable 5 people to have dinner with the President.

I had to decline.

As folks may realize from the two diaries currently on the Rec list by shannika and stonedoubt, jobs are a big issue right now; the economy as a whole, of course, is a huge issue. And if you read a little into stonedoubt's diary, you'll find a comment from me that explains my response to Joe indirectly: I'm closing my business.

Below the fold is the short, simple text of what I sent back. I realize it will never be seen by Vice President Biden, or the President. I know it will likely never be read by anyone in Congress or in a position to pass along my simple response.

Nonetheless, I felt better sending it. No histrionics, no propaganda - just a simple statement and plea.

Make the jump if you'd like to read it, and perhaps add your own comment.

Namaste.

Make the jump»

Maddow on the Republican Obstruction to Recovery: The Nation Recoils in Horror

Two Maddow embeds - one below the fold. Both well worth watching and sharing. Today's Republican "leadership" is not what they proclaim themselves to be - and their actions (and inaction) speak louder than their words. And are horrifying to the average American, and to the American dream.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy.

And if you think that's not encouraging...It gets worse. Rachel breaks it down after the jump.

Make the jump»

A View From the Front Lines of the Class War

Crossposted from Daily Kos by GH, with permission.

A beat-up van pulls to a stop just up the road. A creaky screen door opens from the apartment at the end of the building. A young African-American girl runs out toward the van, barely hanging onto a gym bag that was obviously not meant for such a pint-sized carrier. The driver of the van, a middle-aged white man with glasses and a beard, throws the passenger door to the van open and the little girl tosses the bag onto the floor before climbing in. The apartment door, which had banged shut in the meantime, creaks open again as the girl's mother waves goodbye.

"Be good. Have fun," she tells her daughter.

"I'll have her back by eight," the driver replies as the little girl shuts the van door and waves goodbye to her mom.

As the van pulls away and disappears around a turn up the street, the girl's mother allows herself to slump against the door frame for just a moment. She lets go of a long sigh that betrays just how tired she is. She almost doesn't notice me as I approach her door to introduce myself.

Make the jump»

Libya, Gas Prices, and the Big Payday at Your Expense

Another Triumph for The Money Party

Michael Collins

The average price for a gallon of gas rose 30% from $2.69 in July 2010 to $3.49 as of March 6. Most of that 30% has come in just the last few days.

We're about to embark on another period of let the markets take care of it. The Money Party manipulators are again jerking citizens around in the old bottom-up wealth redistribution program. Their imagineers are writing the storyline right now.

The conflict in Libya is causing the spike in oil prices over the past ten days or so according to the media script. Take a look at the chart to the right. Can you find Libya among the top fifteen nations supplying the United States with crude oil?

Why the Current Panic Over Gas Prices?

The general explanation points to the crisis in Libya as the proximate cause. The anti Gaddafi regime revolution began in earnest on February 17. But if the Libyan revolution were the cause, we'd have to attribute a 50% drop in a 2% share of the world's oil supply as the cause of the panic. We would also have to attribute the increase in US gas prices to a nation that doesn't impact the US crude oil supply and, as a result, should not impact the price of gas here.. Make the jump»

Early Saturday Morning Drive-by Posting: Million Dollar Patriotism. No, really!

Hat-tip Lordrag of DelphiForums.

So, not all of the rich elite are against letting the Bush tax cuts expire for the wealthiest of Americans:

"For the fiscal health of our nation and the well-being of our fellow citizens, we ask that you allow tax cuts on incomes over $1,000,000 to expire at the end of this year as scheduled," their website states. "We make this request as loyal citizens who now or in the past earned an income of $1,000,000 per year or more."

Source

That right there is million dollar patriotism, brought to you by your fellow concerned citizens out of concern for the economy and who have a good sense of what will help the economy the most.

Taxes. Specifically, taxing those who can most afford it.

Two Years, Three Months.

Crossposted from DailyKos.

On 60 Minutes tonight, they did a piece on the deep recession. The part that hit hard was hearing how many people have lost their jobs, their 401K, their IRA, savings and other retirement -- and many who have been in that situation for two years or more after being successfully, gainfully employed before the bottom fell out of the economy.

One of the most striking -- to me -- has been unemployed for two years and three months.

That's before the 2008 election. That's sometime around July 2008.

That's before Obama won the presidency. That's when Bush was still president, and the GOP still had significant control of Congress. The economy was still in free-fall.

And nobody was being held accountable.

It's now October 2010. The freefall has been arrested -- for now -- but all efforts to spur a strong recovery are being actively resisted by both the GOP and the Tea Party, spurred on and supported by growing donations from the corporate elitists and oligarchy who have stepped up to the plate to take up the slack after the Abramoff money sluice was interrupted.

The "skills shortage" lie on unemployment DEMOLISHED

Robert Oak at Economic Populist has rebutted the notion that hiring is stalled due to a "skills shortage." The latest news from the masters of disaster is that there are 5 million jobs in the United States open because of a skills shortage. Not so! as Oak skill fully demonstrates as he demolishes that claim empirically.
See: Blame Employers for the Jobs Crisis - Economic Populist

There is no skills shortage, there never was a skill shortage. There is a shortage of good employers who do not discriminate, age discriminate, ship jobs to India, China, Brazil and treat their workers like cannon fodder. There also is a shortage of jobs, pure and simple. Put U.S. workers first. Demand these employers quit their inane, harsh, wage repressing, discriminatory labor practices. Put a few of of these traitorous employers in jail and sue 'em. Deal with trade and offshore outsourcing, invest in America and Americans. Then and only then will we might actually get somewhere to putting people back to work. Robert Oak

From A "Contract On" To A "Plague Upon"

First they took out a Contract on America. Then they weakened it, undermining democracy and freedom, crippling national security and taking away liberties, then they crippled the economy, the environment and our educational system.

Now, they're trying to call down a Plague upon America.

Make the jump»

Ecomomists Warn Obama on Deficit Reduction Scam

Michael Collins

Three hundred economists released a letter to President Obama today with one message: focus on jobs, not on the deficit. new deal 2.0

Don't kill jobs and growth in the name of deficit reduction. Statement and 300 endorsers. Make the jump»

Why is the American social safety net so weak?

This piece is a crossposted excerpt from a slightly larger piece originally posted on DailyKos. Our thanks to the writer, Democrats Ramshield, for the crosspost. The opening has been slightly edited for clarity, as the original lead-in material is not included within this crosspost. Those are the only alterations. -- GH

How does the US social safety net protect working families?

Did you know that virtually speaking the United States is the only major industrialized nation in the world that doesn't offer job protected paid maternity leave by right of law? To which this diary offers a number of quotes below. In reviewing those quotes please ask yourself the question, what type of family values is Yankee capitalism promulgating for the working class?

Paternity Leave / international comparisons

Did you know that 157 countries offer paid maternity leave?

Check out Wikipedia: "Parental Leave": there's a shocking chart which is an embarassment to the United States

Source: http://comet.lehman.cuny.edu/...

Let's take a look at how the French maternity leave policies work to support families as an earned benefit provided to working people. In doing so please consider the quote below.

Maternity Leave in France

CNN: Bindi Dupouy, an Australian living in Paris, and her French husband, just had their first child, a son born in the country.
Dupouy, a 28-year-old lawyer, got almost five months paid maternity leave from her company for the birth. She can take another seven months off beyond that -- a year total -- unpaid, if she wants, with her job guaranteed under French law.

Source: http://articles.cnn.com/...

Would you please consider telling your friends, family about how our British cousins are provided with extensive maternity benefits which maybe shared by hetero-sexual couples, as well as same-sex couples and single parent families? Isn't it time that we in the U.S. adopted these types of progressive family friendly policies?

Now we're talking about real family values not just lip service.

Make the jump»

"There Is No Economic Justification for Deficit Reduction" Galbraith to Deficit Commission

Posted by Michael Collins

Your proceedings are clouded by illegitimacy.

The conclusion to be drawn is that Social Security should in any event be off the agenda of your Commission, as it is a transfer program and not a program of public spending in the economic sense. In particular it does not use capital resources and will not drive up interest rates. This is true whether the "Social Security System" is in internal balance or not. Make the jump»

Open Thread - The Economic Fun Fair

From political animation editorialist supreme Mark Fiore we get Jack visiting "The Economic Fun Fair":

While Ben Nelson may have been trampled by the Senators that did finally pass Unemployment Insurance extensions, seen any open thread worthy signs of other issues getting tackled anytime soon? Drop'em in comments... Make the jump»

One of those days when depression may set in...

Not like many average people have not seen this coming. We have to honestly live this crap.  This is the kind of thing that the typical beltway insiders and their elite welfare society friends are above noticing:

The Third Depression
By PAUL KRUGMAN

We are now, I fear, in the early stages of a third depression. It will probably look more like the Long Depression than the much more severe Great Depression. But the cost — to the world economy and, above all, to the millions of lives blighted by the absence of jobs — will nonetheless be immense.

At a time when the elites met at the G20 and decided that we aren't suffering enough so they are going to force more cuts on us... Instead of them paying their share. Over 4 trillion in elite welfare last year (just for the banksters and Wall St. alone - not including the Halliburtons of the world in that) and these scum sucking financial elitists want to tell us about watching our spending. They just want to cut our social safety nets so they can increase their corporate welfare.From bobswern's diary at dKos a couple of thoughts from others as point and counterpoint: Make the jump»

Syndicate

User Tweets

#debt now at 6yr low http://t.co/0ye0KyqU #GOP #TeaParty -> #biteIt #p2 #tlot #tcot #Obama2012 & #Romney wants retrn 2 #Bush #FAIL policies 1 year 27 weeks ago
Found at http://t.co/ENUbHGDg http://t.co/5wgUf1ag 1 year 27 weeks ago
"OMIGOD! It WINKED!" ...ok, that's my captioning fun. Your turn. #p2 #GOP #tcot #TeaParty #Romney #CaptionThis #tlot http://t.co/RU7PaWqZ 1 year 27 weeks ago
MT @MotherJones: SCOTT BROWN CAUGHT ON VID: "Who wd I #stalk?…How abt, uh, probably ... those pussycat girls" http://t.co/Iib2eQF7 #p2 #GOP 1 year 27 weeks ago
RT @ZerlinaMaxwell: basically RT @jbouie: The Onion captures the essence of the Romney campaign: http://t.co/FQw7CnkI 1 year 27 weeks ago