Find out more about ePluribus Media.

Trending on ePluribus Media

Home

news

Court rebuffs FCC's attempt to weaken media ownership rules

In support of the public interest, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit rebuffed an attempt by the FCC to weaken media ownership rules. From freepress:

PHILADELPHIA – On Thursday , the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit issued its long-awaited verdict on the Federal Communications Commission’s disputed media ownership rules. The court threw out FCC rules that would have allowed one company to own a newspaper and broadcast stations in the same market and upheld the FCC’s decision to retain its other local broadcast ownership restrictions. The court also instructed the FCC to better consider how its rules will affect and can promote ownership by women and people of color.

...Read more...

Score one more small victory for the people.

And speaking of The People, please feel free to use this as an Open Thread.

Friday Morning Open Thread: Walker's Workforce Woes Continue, Worker's Revenge Edition

From CNN:

(CNN) -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Thursday warned 14 absent lawmakers trying to stall his controversial budget bill to return to the state Capitol immediately to vote on the measure, or layoff notices will be sent to 1,500 public employees before the weekend.
"Unfortunately, if we don't have action by tomorrow we have a legal and moral obligation to start forewarning people," Walker said a Thursday night press conference.
The layoffs would take effect April 1, the governor said.
Walker's threat to start laying off workers capped the third week of a high-stakes drama playing out in Wisconsin.

Looks to me that there'd be 1500 more people with incentive to protest, come Monday.

And that's not counting their family, friends and pets.

In other news (also via CNN),

New Delhi, India (CNN) -- Workers, angry at being fired, burned alive a senior executive of a steel factory in eastern India, police said Friday.
The attack on R.S. Roy, a deputy general manager at the Graphite India Limited's steel unit in Orissa state, took place Thursday after he signed termination letters for about a dozen workers, police said.
The angry workers stopped Roy's car and attacked him -- before setting him and the car on fire, said police superintendent Ajay Kumar Sarangi.

Ouch. Good thing the folks in WI are peaceful.

What's the latest news from your neck of the woods? Tell us what's happening in the comments, and remember: this is an Open Thread.

A Progressive News service

Re-Posted from Dailykos with permission from StrandedWind

I don't even recall who it was, but someone tweeted about the Knight Foundation News Challenge, and I favorited it for later inspection.

I finally got around to looking at it a few days before it ended and I was kicking myself - last year they gave grants between $75,000 and $400,000 for people who had ideas. Good ideas, mind you, but just ideas ... and we've actually got Progressive Congress News up and running.

So ... step over the fold and help me drag home a great big score for the Progressive community.

Make the jump»

Keith Olbermann's Special Comment on News and Objectivity

YouTube: 

Sometimes, someone says what needs to be said -- there's more to the truth than the objective idealism of "fair and balanced" which Fox News has turned into a catch-phrase for "partisanship" and propaganda.

In the Special Comment delivered on 15 November 2010, Keith Olbermann talks about the News Media and it's abhorrent record.

Give it a listen.

Comments are open, and welcome.

Karl Rove caught subpoena'd on camera: Not news, film not at 11, why not?!

The sorry-ass state of shareholder value-captured media, just perhaps!?

From yesterday's OpEdNews

Imagine the look of contempt on Karl Rove's face this past Sunday as he swaggered toward his star turn on CBS's Face the Nation only to be served with our subpoena sanctioned by the Secretary of the State of Ohio.
The federal subpoena orders Rove to testify in deposition. Our attorney, Cliff Arnebeck, intends to ask Mr. Rove about his role in the theft if the 2004 election, and to discuss his orchestration of tens of millions of corporate/billionaire dollars in the one coming up on November 2, 2010.

The Decline of American television

Does anybody out there remember what television was like in the 1970s?

Back in the 1970s we had TV shows like Welcome back Kotter, Barney Miller, Chico and the Man, M*A*S*H*, All in the Family. WKRP in Cincinnati, the ABC After school special and Fat Albert.

The main thing that binds all of these TV shows together was that all of these shows had a social message. They taught important lessons. They taught about the importance of trying to resolve problems without violence, the stupidity of racism, the ugliness of war, the importance of social justice, the importance of getting a good education, the importance of accepting of people who are different than you are, the importance of staying off of drugs and other social messages as well.

We also had Schoolhouse rock which helped to educate America's children.

That was then. This is now.

Make the jump»

Print ain’t dead

Interesting case study of a profitable community newspaper.  The paper is free and the profits come from "targeted ad sales". 

hmmm ....

Print ain’t dead: How an ad-man-turned publisher is building a local news empire profitably in Texas

John P. Garrett says he worries he sounds like someone from the early 1990s who predicted there would never be a computer in every home. Garrett’s the Texas publisher of seven neighborhood editions of a monthly newspaper called Community Impact Newspaper. And he’s not looking online to grow his business. The difference between him and the Luddite computer naysayer is that, so far at least, he’s been right. His business is profitable, and he’s expanding. 

Thoughts? Make the jump»

DXC Staffer receives Clinton Honors

DAYTON, OH – University of Dayton graduate student and Dayton Christian Center (DXC) Fellow Drew Formentini has been selected as a participant in the 2010 Clinton Global Initiative to be held April 16-18 at the University of Miami, FL. Make the jump»

Coming up...Reviews and New Opportunities

Hiya, folks. As you may have noticed, ePluribus Media is doing some updates. These updates are both internal and external -- some you'll see, others will happen behind the scenes.

As with all such efforts, your feedback and contributions are always appreciated; please feel free to sprinkle a few in the comments.

Upcoming on ePluribus Media in terms of content is a review of Public Journalism 2.0: The Promise and Reality of a Citizen-Engaged Press, edited by Jack Rosenberry and Burton St. John III. Our own Aaron Barlow contributed to it (he wrote Chapter 5), and I was fortunate enough to be quoted. The topic is both relevant and timely, coming shortly on the heels of news regarding how Susie Dow's Iraq, Contingency Contracting and the Defense Base Act started a series of events that culminated in the Department of Labor finally recognizing the benefits claim of the Kirk von Ackermann's family -- six long years after Kirk disappeared in Iraq, in what the Army CID determined was a clear-cut case of abduction and murder. Kudos again, Susie, and our thanks for your dogged pursuit of justice.

I'll be posting my review of Public Journalism 2.0 in the next day or two. Keep an eye out for it.

Other things are happening -- some still in the planning stages but moving forward. More on all this later. In the meantime, have a great weekend.

Holiday Aftermath Day [Updated]

The Thanksgiving holiday in the US has now ended; if you celebrated it with family, friends or in solo form, let us know how it went. (We live vicariously through the experiences of others.)

In terms of interesting news that occurred over the holidays, apparently Dubai World is in danger of defaulting on a $60 billion in loan repayments (hat-tip Jimdotz @ DailyKos):

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Just a year after the global downturn derailed Dubai's explosive growth, the city is now so swamped in debt that it's asking for a six-month reprieve on paying its bills — causing a drop on world markets Thursday and raising questions about Dubai's reputation as a magnet for international investment.

The fallout came swiftly and was felt globally after Wednesday's statement that Dubai's main development engine, Dubai World, would ask creditors for a "standstill" on paying back its $60 billion debt until at least May.

This, of course, is not something the financial sector would give thanks for, as it gives the term "Black Friday" a more ominous shade of meaning (hat-tip Moby for the analogy).

[Update: For more information and a useful update about why this isn't a reason to panic, go here.]

In other news,

That's it for now. What's eating you?

Shameless Self-Promotion ... Welcome To The 60's

YouTube: 

I'm very pleased to announce a new blog from Artlyn Entertainment which will be as much fun to do as it will be for readers to enjoy.

I've been thinking about doing another blog in the format of Bitchy Old Queen (BOQ) but hadn't quite figured out in what context or direction to develope a new blog. Make the jump»

Irritating little tidbits that are stuck in my craw

A couple of things are stuck in my craw at the moment:

Doesn't Track...

Dunno about anyone else, but the alleged message from Osama Bin Laden this past June doesn't track for me:

In his latest message in June, bin Laden said U.S. President Barack Obama had planted the seeds of "revenge and hatred" toward the United States in the Muslim world.

That seems too...Cheney-esque, as if in response to a Bush message.

Anybody else finding that to be a bit "weird"? Kinda wingnutty-flavored, imo...

Feeding the Hungry

Food stamp list soars past 35 million: USDA

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - More than 35 million Americans received food stamps in June, up 22 percent from June 2008 and a new record as the country continued to grapple with the worst recession since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Yes, another gift that keeps on giving -- the fruitful bounty of a collapsed economy, courtesy of 8 years of Republican "compassionate conservative" 'leadership' and fiscal goodness.

Thanks, folks. We appreciate how strongly you like to drive home the point that you're only "in it to win it" and don't give an actual damn about the nation or our people, so -- while we're thinking about it -- could you now kindly shut the hell up and stop messing with the healthcare debate?

I know quite a few people who are in dire need of a strong public option, and you sidewinders are lying, cheating and fomenting violence & discord simply to prevent a viable reform from happening.Get the hell out of the way -- your ideas have damaging our nation for too long. You lost the election by a wide margin, and the rest of America gave the incoming party a new mandate: Pay attention and take care of the nation and her people, or we'll kick you to the curb like your predecessors.

That's the extemely short Extreme Short List. There's waaaay to much to simply start listing them out.

Happy Saturday, folks. (ed. -- heh, oops. Friday. -- GH)

Make the jump»

News Flash -- A Glimpse of Current Top Headlines

Here's an early-evening sweep of some basic news items circulating the internets at this time, courtesy of a jaunt through Google News:

News from China about Stateside salmonella outbreaks:

Salmonella outbreak sickens at least nine in two US states -- Xinhuanet

Financial and Political news:

US Bank Failures Rise to 72 With Collapses in Florida, Oregon -- Bloomberg

US Cuts Less Jobs Than Forecast -- NY Times

Clinton and South African Discuss Somalia and Sudan -- NY Times

GOP's Martinez says he'll leave Senate early -- Boston Globe

Black Hole:

Particle Collider: Black Hole or Crucial Machine? -- ABC News

These are for the birds:

Of rooks and rocks: Birds live up to their fabled reputation -- LA Times

and

Clever rooks repeat ancient fable -- BBC News

On the Global Climate Change side,

Glacier melt accelerating, federal report concludes -- Los Angeles Times

And that's the news.

Make the jump»

Michael Jackson's Death Boosts Readership Of LGBT Newscenter

It's a sad fact but Michael Jackson's death boosted The LGBT Newscenter's readership to over 500 on Thursday creating the highest one day readership since readership tracking of the site was started a week ago.

With the live CBS News feed featuring coverage from KCBS-TV and then late in the evening another Los Angeles TV station, it provided LGBT Internet users non-stop television coverage for several hours of the sad breaking news of Jackson's death.

A special West Coast edition of The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric was also streamed live.

Also on The LGBT Newscent Make the jump»

Quote Of The Day From A Newspaper Man

In Sunday's Danbury newspaper, The News-Times, was an article which reports about starting today (Monday) the paper will no longer be printed in Danbury and 9 more people (the pressman) have lost their jobs. Several former co-workers which I have happened to see over the past couple of weeks have described the building as one big echo chamber because so many people have been let go. Make the jump»

Syndicate

User Tweets

#debt now at 6yr low http://t.co/0ye0KyqU #GOP #TeaParty -> #biteIt #p2 #tlot #tcot #Obama2012 & #Romney wants retrn 2 #Bush #FAIL policies 1 year 46 weeks ago
Found at http://t.co/ENUbHGDg http://t.co/5wgUf1ag 1 year 46 weeks ago
"OMIGOD! It WINKED!" ...ok, that's my captioning fun. Your turn. #p2 #GOP #tcot #TeaParty #Romney #CaptionThis #tlot http://t.co/RU7PaWqZ 1 year 46 weeks ago
MT @MotherJones: SCOTT BROWN CAUGHT ON VID: "Who wd I #stalk?…How abt, uh, probably ... those pussycat girls" http://t.co/Iib2eQF7 #p2 #GOP 1 year 46 weeks ago
RT @ZerlinaMaxwell: basically RT @jbouie: The Onion captures the essence of the Romney campaign: http://t.co/FQw7CnkI 1 year 46 weeks ago