2008 elections

Mass. Landslide Single Payer Voting Victory

Originally posted Posted Sat, 02/14/2009 - the sort of good news we like to hear - standingup

Via D.C. Blogger, A Ballot initiative in 10 Massachusetts' districts gives you a pretty clear picture of what Americans want in health care reform:

Under the Chapter 58 legislation in Massachusetts, law currently mandates the purchase of private health insurance for all individuals not eligible for a public option. Those who are uninsured in Massachusetts are subject to fines. The lack of primary care physicians in addition to the high deductibles have not created universal access to care in the state.

In the most recent election, local ballot initiatives supporting single payer and opposing individual mandates passed by landslide margins in all ten legislative districts of Massachusetts where they appeared. With almost all precincts tallied, roughly 73 percent of 181,000 voters in the ten districts voted YES to the following: “Should the representative from this district be instructed to support legislation creating a cost-effective single payer health insurance system that is available to all residents, and oppose laws penalizing those who fail to obtain health insurance?”

More from Health Care Now!

Obama fighting hard for Indiana

Originally posted on 2008-10-20 09:35:50 -0500. Bumped by Carol. I think that we are seeing the fracturing of the Republican Party and none to soon. Colin Powell's endorsement should help the process along even further.

If Indiana turns blue at last, it won't be simply because of overwhelming turnout in Lake County or the Democratic cities like Indianapolis and Bloomington. If Indiana turns blue, it will be because Indiana Hoosiers are disgusted with the Bush Administration... and because Obama has run a terrific ground offensive in this state. He has done what many (including myself) might have thought impossible: he is making serious headway in the wealthy Republican suburbs that ring Indianapolis:

Post Obama-McCain Debate: Are the Far Right Christian Fundamentalists Giving up on Earthly Change this Election Cycle?

I get mail. I have my friends who still inhabit that far right terrain that frankly, try as I might, I don't understand. So I get chainmail forwarded to me, lots and lots of echainmail. It's often full of scorn or righteous anger at the heathens... most of the time I never even open it. But the one below had a curious sad tone of pending defeat to it. Am I reading too much into it?

from chainmail :

This Week With Barack Obama, The Presumptive Democratic Nominee, June 1-7, 2008

Video-Edwards Endorses Obama: "There is One Man..."

"There is one man who knows that knows and understands that this is a time for bold leadership. There is one man that knows how to create the change, the lasting change, that you have to build from the ground up. There is one man who knows in his heart there is time to create one America, not two ... and that man is Barack Obama, " John Edwards told a fired up crowd in Michigan, as he endorsed Barack Obama for President.

Another reason Clinton is not the right choice? Iran.

I first met Neghin Sobhaini last year while doing an interview on the subject of Darfur. There I learned of her heritage as an Iranian American, and of her work in Iran with the U.N.
When McCain started touring the country with Joe Lieberman and continued to hint at another War - this time with Iran, I knew Neghin would be a good person to discuss how these type of actions are affecting politics in Iran, specifically by undermining the moderates in the country who want reform and diplomacy with the West.

Candidate Jason Bane - how local politics shape energy policy

This year, we have an opportunity to make a big impact on Jefferson county, for the state of Colorado, and potentially for the way this nation uses energy. Jason Bane is challenging Kevin McCaskey for County Commissioner, and after you hear some of the scandalous activity this board of commissioners has engaged in, I believe you will agree with Jason, that it is time to end the culture of corruption in Jefferson County.
More importantly, with NREL and the School of the Mines, it is also time to make Jefferson county
'The epicenter of Renewable Energy' to quote Jason.

A great Dem for Congress, Betsy Markey, CO C0-04 w/video

originally posted 2008-02-19 13:06:01 -- bumped and promoted -- it's good to get news about some of the local candidates

We have a lot of great opportunities to expand the democratic majority in the house this fall, and a lot of great candidates.

One such candidate is a remarkable woman, Betsy Markey, running for Colorado's CD-4, a seat currently held by Marilyn Musgrave. Representative Musgrave thought D.O.M.A (Defense of Marriage Act) did not go far enough, and introduced an amendment that would outlaw benefits to anyone not married, thus effectively ending an individual state's right to grant civil unions.

But besides Musgrave's morality legislation concerns, Bets Markey is a terrific candidate for this seat, because as someone who has worked both in the private sector and with the State department, she can attack (and does so effectively) Musgrave from a business and fiscal conservative platform as well as from a standpoint of someone who has superior foreign policy experience.

Read more on her ideas and her interview via youtube video...

Unbelievable! CNN narrows the Field of Candidates!

Minor adjustment and edit by GreyHawk. See comments...

Revised by Carol, No changes but update.I had a series of physical mishaps last week and so was not ontop of all the exciting (and otherwise) posts. The way that CNN deliberate shapes the political debate is not only infuriating but dangerous. By substituting lies and trivia and a good dose of horse rate mentality into their coverage, they no doubt succeed in channelling voters thinking, even I imagine critics such as myself. So I am front-paging this now to bring more intention to the situation.

I have done this by using the "revision" button. I have changed nothing in the text. I am not sure how this works but we shall all see.

Once again in the Corporate Media makes an "Executive Decision", about who America should see as their Viable Choices:

Hillary Clinton
Barack Obama
John McCain
Rudy Giuliani
Mike Huckabee
Mitt Romney

Only these Candidates were the Focus of the latest CNN Poll

Where is John Edwards in this Poll?

Ten Mistakes I’ll Probably Make In 2008

promoted - cho

Many of us view the calendar's turn from 2007 to 2008 as an opportunity to start anew and to improve upon the year just past. But despite this resolve, it's easy to predict that 2008 will be another year filled with small slips and large blunders. As a psychologist whose work focuses on five core concerns--about vulnerability, injustice, distrust, superiority, and helplessness--that are especially powerful influences in our personal and collective lives, I offer this list of ten mistakes I'll probably make on the way to 2009.