2008 Presidential Election

McCain 'Guarantees' Victory: Is "The Fix" Already In?

In an interview today, John McCain "guaranteed" a victory on November 4th.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that he can “guarantee” a win on Nov. 4 in a squeaker victory that won’t be clear until late that night.

[...snip...]

“I guarantee you that two weeks from now, you will see this has been a very close race, and I believe that I'm going to win it,” McCain told interim "Meet" moderator Tom Brokaw. “We're going to do well in this campaign, my friend. We're going to win it, and it's going to be tight, and we're going to be up late.”

Given the unprecedented interference posed by George W. Bush asking the DoJ to intervene in the Ohio voter registration flap, on top of a strange AP outlier that could help set the stage, issues with absent absentee ballots and the numbers of potential voters purged from the rolls estimated at around 13 million, McCain may just have a reason to believe he could make it in a squeaker -- just like Bush, in both the 2000 and 2004 elections.

Meanwhile, the overall projected electoral count (Obama 375, McCain 157) -- and even the world itself (Obama 87%, McCain 13%) -- appears to indicate an overwhelming preference for his opponent.

Facts and figures from Electoral-Vote.com and IfTheWorldCouldVote.com are as of this posting and thus subject to change over time. Hat-tip to LordRag of DelphiForums for the lede.

Greenwald: "Let's run the Hate Talk Express off the road."

In a message received (and posted elsewhere by) a friend, Robert Greenwald of BraveNewFilms.org provides a collection of targeted "The Real McCain" videos. Greenwald's objective is to shed some light and truth in order to provide leverage for use derailing the "Hate Talk Express."

I haven't watched the videos yet, but judging by the topics I thought it was worth sharing the content of the message.

Message and videos below the fold.

Dear Congress, Come November...[Don't FISA things up on us.]

originally posted 2008-07-09 00:07:21, bumped - cho

Call, fax or email. It's too late now to send a postcard to stop this heinous capitulating "cave-in to be" but it's not too late to start letting them know that gutting our fourth amendment is not cool.

Dear Congress -- Come November...

Why is it necessary, why is it politically expedient, to set in stone and make yet another law that falsely legitimizes the crimes of the Executive, of Congress, of the Department of Justice and the telecom industry? In light of the FACTS that Bush Committed 30 Felonies and did not do so alone, did not act without support and protection from Congress -- what makes it so important that this must be passed today? There are ongoing cases that this would shut down -- more reason, not less, to send this disgraceful veil of faux legitimacy to an early and ignoble grave.

VEEP Straw Poll -- Rank Your Choices

I've seen a variety of pieces asking about VP choices for Obama; now, thanks to LordRag, I've seen this list of possible options from Reuters: FACTBOX: Possible Democratic vice presidential candidates (Reporting by Deborah Charles and John Whitesides, editing by David Wiessler, Tue Jun 3, 8:53 PM ET)

The given list is interesting. Over the flip, I'm going to provide it as-is in a list lettered from A to Z. Please read it, and in comments provide your top three picks in order of preference. I'll post the results tomorrow.

Strange Bedfellows: The GOP Helps Clinton, Fearing Obama Victory

Game on, folks: looks like the GOP has decided that McCain's only chance is against Hillary Clinton, and they are pulling out all the stops to garner more "support" -- in appearance only -- to help defeat any chance of a Barack Obama nomination.

This is classic tactic -- not only a GOP one, but also a Democratic one: remember gaming the system during their primaries to keep their players in the race longer? The Democratic interference was less likely to kill a viable candidate's chances -- the entire Republican field sucked; now it simply sucks with an army of one instead of many. But the Republican party has played this game to great effect before: remember the Lamont/Lieberman primary? ePluribus Media covered the GOP/Lieberman alliance at that time:

As long as we're aware of it, we can counter it and let our own voters decide. Let's not be faced with another Liebermanesque type of "victory" due to Republican manipulations.

A Nightmare On Pennsylvania Avenue, II: Fright Night for the Right

We've all seen "Part I" of "A Nightmare on Pennsylvania Avenue" -- it's only now winding down its second release. An unlikely pair of politicos and their powerful supporters swept into power on the wings of prayers, and all hell breaks loose, resulting in the most elaborately produced nightmare that the citizens of this nation and the world have ever seen. The Reich-wingers have been ecstatic; the "director's cut" re-release, in 2004, had them swooning in the streets, until the damn critics finally started showing up and giving their reviews.

Now, after a brief hiatus and a writer's strike, it appears as though the production studio for this flick has collapsed -- but a rival company has picked up the option and is reinventing the premise: now, two powerful figures from the opposition party stand ready to take up residence, and the Right is going into conniptions in anxious dread and trepidation...

Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama -- "It will never happen."

The following commentary was submitted to ePluribus Media with permission to reprint. It is by Dan Coen, the "foremost expert on U.S. Vice Presidents" who has been interviewed by media such as NBC Nightly News, BBC Radio, and NPR. He is the author of "Second String: Trivia, Facts and Lists about the Vice Presidency and its Vice Presidents" and the Publisher and Managing Editor of VicePresidents.com, an online news magazine dedicated to the like.

:: ::

So many interviews about whether Hillary and Obama will be an item in November, 2008. Let me lay to rest the questioning by providing the answer: It will NEVER happen.

Here's why.

1. Barack Obama does not need Hillary Clinton's backage. Does he really want Bill and Hillary and their gang to take over his campaign for President?
  2. Hillary Clinton does not want to be upstaged. Obama communicates better, looks better and gets more out of a crowd. Ask John Kerry. No fun having a younger and more electric VEEP.
  3. The Dems' want to WIN in 2008. The country may not be ready to vote for this radical a ticket. Or, maybe it is. But the Dems' don't want to guess and hope for the best.
  4. They do not complement one another. Both are Senators. The ticket needs somebody with executive experience. Both lean toward the left. The ticket needs somebody in the middle. Both stall on the foreign policy front, much better on the domestic front. The ticket needs a credible entity to help with Iraq.

Plenty of terrific choices ahead for either Hillary or Obama. We don't see them selecting each other!

Dan Coen, VicePresidents1@yahoo.com