Because you do Need To Know what is at stake on Tuesday: Redistricting and Gerrymandering

The most recent Census is behind us which puts the importance of the upcoming election's importance front and center. And, more importantly, what the results of the this election can do to your future vote. Right now it is all about one thing:

Redistricting across the nation.

It happens after every Census and it can decide whether to keep the district lines fairly and reasonably drawn... OR it can amplify or drown your voice in future elections. It is that big a deal. I wrote on this a short while back - foreshadowing the importance that it would have now, Now, NOW!

Dive in for more on both Redistricting and the inevitable Gerrymandering that results below...

I Voted EARLY Today For Democrats!

{ed note - CM1] Cross posted with permission from and written by slinkerwink: A little bit of reasoning from the left wing on why you should get out the vote.

by slinkerwink

Thu Oct 28, 2010 at 04:26:15 PM EDT

I voted early today. It's the first time I've done this, and it was a breeze to do. It's the fifth time that I've voted since 2000. I still remember that excitement of my first vote for Al Gore to be President, even though it was ten years ago.

I voted in 2000 because I knew how terrible Governor Bush would be as President. I was sadly right. I didn't vote in the 2002 midterm election since I was depressed and angry about the illegal war against Iraq which 40% of the Democratic caucus in the House had voted for at the time.

Then I came to Dailykos around 2003 because of Howard Dean. I was one of the followers on the Dean For America blog, which later became Democracy For America. Here's the transcript of that famous "I'm here to represent the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party" speech below:

Notes on CT Governor and Senate Races

I get paid $2 a day, my job is taking advantage of me, and I LOVE IT

I have been working a job since November. I have put countless hours of effort into this endeavor, and in that time I have received $300 in compensation. Over the 7 months I have worked with this organization I have been paid a little more than $40 a month. At about 30 days a month that breaks down to around $2 rounded up a day.

So yes, my job is totally taking advantage of me, and you know what? I LOVE IT.

In the interest of transparency I included this disclaimer to appear in my comments once our organization started soliciting funds and donation here online.

FULL DISCLOSURE - I'm a paid employee of PeanutButterPAC, a progressive PAC founded right here at DailyKos.com. (and the blogosphere at large)

Now, to further the interest of FULL DISCLOSURE, here is the full financial report of PeanutButterPac as of this date.

More below the fold

Two Polls and Two Jokes

Poll 1.

Research 2000 just pretty much confirmed the state of the Connecticut Senate race between Blumenthal and McMahon:

Research 2000 for Daily Kos. 5/24-26. Likely voters. MoE 4% (1/11-13 results)

Dick Blumenthal (D) 52 (56)
Linda McMahon (R) 33 (34)

It'd been a while since we polled Connecticut, and quite frankly, I didn't expect to ever come back to this Senate race (the governor's race is another story, and a race for another day to poll).

Poll 2.

These numbers are pretty darn close to where Quinnipiac had them yesterday:

SCANDAL! Rand Paul MUST return Neo-Nazi funds NOW and DENOUNCE Stormfront.org

[ed note - CM1]  Welcome MinistryOfTruth who has graciously accepted an invitation to post some material here. And enjoy! I know I do.

This must be seen across America. Stormfront.org, which was founded to support David Duke for senate by another KKK Grand Dragon, Don Black, has been promoting and contributing to Rand Paul's moneybombs. Palling around with WhiteSupremacists much?

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
That's a tweet from Don Black, head of the white supremacist group Stormfront. Wow.

~snip~

So, Trey Grayson should reject donations from Republicans who voted for the bailout........but it's okay for Rand Paul to accept donations from Stormfront? genuineGOPmom.blogspot.com

I will state this loudly and clearly. Over and over at the top of my Jewish lungs.

Rand Paul MUST return Neo-Nazi funds NOW and DENOUNCE Stormfront.org

But he can't. Democrats MUST turn 2010 into a referendum on Rand Paul. So, let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Open Thread - 10 Questions Edition

I am guessing you were probably thinking when you saw the Open Thread title that I may have had 10 questions for you to ask politicians to anwer or something along those lines. Nope. I am talking about 10 simple questions that you need to answer to help keep this country working for you.

I am talking about the 2010 Census.

And the only bad news is that, no! You can not fill it out the 2010 Census online. Below the fold of this Open Thread are links to some basic information on the 2010 Census that is getting underway.

Dem Wake Up Call: Reality Of Healthcare Reform and Getting Re-Elected

I have been saying that the numbers are pretty clear on what is missing from Healthcare Reform for a while, and is a political killer for Dem incumbents, has clearly been the fact that there was no public option in the final Senate bill that passed. All along the way you could see the politicians' numbers dropping like an anchor while the public option remained pretty darn steady in its popularity. While everyone is concerned about jobs and the government opening up the taxpayer's wallet to the greedy banksters, via Charles Chamberlain's diary, we get a pretty clear picture of what is pushing the people over the edge and will likely lead to a Dem salughter in the next elections:

This isn't just a strategy that makes good policy sense, it's the
key issue these Freshman Democrats need to pass to get reelected.
Here's the headline details of the voters Democracy for America and the
Progressive Change Campaign Committee had Research 2000 poll over the weekend.

FRESHMAN DEMOCRATS FACE TROUBLE IN 2010 IF CONGRESS DOESN'T PASS A PUBLIC OPTION

Polls in 10 frontline freshman districts show:

•    68% of voters want a public health insurance option
  •    By 5 to 1, voters want their Representative to fight to add the public option over simply passing the Senate bill
  •    By 3 to 1, persuadable voters are less likely to vote for
    local Democrat if Congress doesn't pass a public option as part of
    reform
  •    55% say Democrats need to do more to fight big corporations
  •    6% say Democrats haven't done enough to fulfill Obama's 2008 campaign promises
  •    52% of Democrats less likely to vote in 2010 if Congress doesn't pass public option -- Republicans more likely

These numbers are not a surprise to Americans out-side of
Washington, but you can be sure they are turning a lot of heads today
inside Washington.

Those numbers are about as damning to the Dems as Senator Nelson's strategy to kill health reform should be by now. Via slinkerwink: