Cross-posted from dKos with permission of author, JDWolverton.
It happened again this morning. Some talking head on CNN was talking about making sure consumers had adequate choice in health care. What the heck was he talking about? I don't have a lot of choices when it comes to "choosing" my health insurance. ...and I don't have a lot to say about what my doctor recommends for me.
My choice for health insurance is either
- Take my company's plan
- Take my spouse's company's plan
- Go out on the individual market which offers less coverage at a higher price
- Go bare and pray we don't get sick
Similarly, my choice of health care treatment is
- Select and pay the balance (after my insurance pays) for the treatment my physician orders.
- Cajole my physician into ordering a treatment my insurance company allows that will most likely be less effective or the doctor would have ordered it in the first place.
- Go against physician advice and skimp on care or skip care.
- Pay the mortgage, car payment, electric bill or skip on food or get health care.
This "choice" meme is particularly irritating to anyone who has faced these "choices".