Campaign 2008

Racist Incidents Reported on Obama Campaign Trial

The Washington Post ran an article today, describing a number of racist incidents. Reporter Kevin Merida interviewed campaign workers who described situatins that they had faced in Hillary country, in rural Ohio and Pennsylvania.

For all the hope and excitement Obama's candidacy is generating, some of his field workers, phone-bank volunteers and campaign surrogates are encountering a raw racism and hostility that have gone largely unnoticed -- and unreported -- this election season. Doors have been slammed in their faces. They've been called racially derogatory names (including the white volunteers). And they've endured malicious rants and ugly stereotyping from people who can't fathom that the senator from Illinois could become the first African American president.

Nick Benton's Corner: Obama is Better For ‘Bitter’

The Falls Church News Press has gotten more recognition. Here is an excerpt from a press release Nick sent me.

WASHINGTON CITY PAPER DECLARES THE FALLS CHURCH
NEWS-PRESS "BEST REMNANT OF THE LIBERAL MEDIA"

The following is extracted from this week's Washington, D.C., City Paper, "Best of D.C." Edition, April 18, 2008. It's the first time in 15 years the City Paper has produced a "Best of D.C." edition. Some "winners" were based on reader polls, this is one of many the editors sought to award:

'BEST REMNANT OF THE LIBERAL MEDIA: Falls Church News-Press"

The phrase "the liberal media" might be a big lie outside of Falls Church. But not inside. Since 1991, publisher Nicholas F. Benton has made sure his Falls Church News-Press has afflicted the comfortable within the wealthy and historically conservative city's borders.
While the rest of the reporting world has been zigging right, Benton has zagged left -- and thrived: He was named 2007's Business Person of the Year by the Falls Church city council.
"One thing I have said, 'It's more important to be right than to be fair'," says Benton.

As is my custom I am posting his latest editorial with his permission.

Barack Obama's Speech Explaining His Views on Race, Religion and Politics

Video embed of Obama's speech, via YouTube, added by GreyHawk.

I am sure that the release of Rev. Wright's statements about race and religion were of concern to most American's whether or not they support Barack Obama in his bid for the presidency. The question was on the table--How could Obama have chosen the someone with the Reverend's views to be his pastor and to be a party of his campaign team? Did these revalations disqualify Obama from the presidency?

I think that Obama's reply is an important statement on the question of race and politics in this country as well as an affirmation of his fundamental committment to a better more just society. I am providing a link which gives the pre-released print version of the speech and a video, here.

Full speech, via YouTube, now embedded below.

The News From Virginia Nick Benton's Corner

Posted with permission of Nicholas Benton

In his first of two editorials, Nick Benton's, owner/editor of the Falls Church News Press enthusiastically recognizes the implications of the recent Obama victory. He reflects the optimism of Democrats and Independents through Virginia who are looking forward to victory next November. However in his opinion piece he also raises his fears that Obama is "Wall Street's" choice and is contention that Clinton is the more progressive candidate.

What's This About Reagan Being a Great American President

I am still watching Blitz most nights. I have compromised with my stomach by remoting Dobbs. First thing to note is how the media is still fanning the flames of race by constantly rehashing the Clinton/Obama rhetoric on the subject. I have let it drift by while preparing the evening meal, but I was truly stunned when Obama weighed in on how Bill Clinton, when he was president, didn't match up to Reagan's accomplishments. What did we have here?