Petition to support H.R. 2833, The Preexisting Condition Exclusion Patient Protection Act

eMail from Congressman Joe Courtney's office requesting signatures:

Dear Friends,
You all know the statistics--an estimated 47 million Americans lack health insurance. What you may not be aware of is that this problem is worsened by health insurance discrimination.

Each year, millions of Americans are denied health insurance due to a pre-existing condition. Disqualifying conditions can range from such serious illnesses as heart disease and cancer to such routinely treatable conditions as acne and asthma.

Despite the implementation of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) ten years ago, individuals still face major obstacles when trying to change plans.

It's time to do something to address the quiet crisis of underinsured Americans.

That is why I introduced H.R. 2833, The Preexisting Condition Exclusion Patient Protection Act, to ensure reasonable access to quality affordable health coverage.

Imagine getting a new job and then being told that you do not qualify for your employer's health insurance policy because five months earlier you had seen a doctor about pain related to an old sports injury. You will then be informed that you have to wait up to a year to qualify, and in this time will be forced to cover all medical expenses out of pocket.

This is an all too real scenario for countless Americans, but you can help change that.

Join the fight against Healthcare discrimination! Click here to become a Citizen Co-sponsor of H.R. 2833.

This legislation will allow insurers to only “look-back” on medical records for a period of thirty days as opposed to the current six months. The current law is so expansive that it can catch an estimated one out of three Americans. Furthermore, the pre-existing condition waiting period will be cut from twelve months to three.

Not only will this legislation help stop healthcare discrimination, it will give the estimated 94 million Americans who suffer from a chronic illness the reassurance that their family will not be forced to bear the burden of a year’s worth of medical costs if they change jobs or seek out a different individual health plan.

This bill has garnered the support of dozens of advocacy groups including the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the National Patient Advocate Foundation and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. In order to keep the momentum moving forward, I need your help.

Please join me in this fight against healthcare discrimination by becoming a citizen co-sponsor of the Preexisting Condition Exclusion Patient Protection Act.

Your signature and comments will be submitted to Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Hoyer as well as to the chairmen of the House Committees on Energy and Commerce, Education and Labor and Ways and Means.

In order to demonstrate the widespread public support for these changes our goal is to build a list of 2,500 citizen co-sponsors. Sign up as a co-sponsor and forward this message to your friends and family so they too can add their voice to the call for healthcare equity.

It's time to ensure that past and chronic medical conditions do not prevent millions of Americans from obtaining essential health insurance coverage. Together we can change our country, right here at home.

Sincerely,
Congressman Joe Courtney

P.S. Your co-sponsorship will help send the message that healthcare discrimination will no longer be tolerated. Help us reach our goal of 2,500 co-sponsors by forwarding this important letter to your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers.

No votes yet

Comments

One of the reasons Bill Clinton was elected because health care costs had sky rocketted and insurance had become unattainable for so many Americans. Here we are, 16 years later, and nothing has been done.

We need nationalized health care for every man woman and child regardless of income. No one should work a life time to lose everything they own because of an illness or injury. No child should be denied health care because their parents doesn't have a job with benefits. No one in their 40's should have ot forsake saving for retirement because they have to pay for health insurance.

It's beyond ridiculous that this legislation is even necessary. It's a national disgrace.

Just to let you know I signed. I am going to promote it so no one passes it buy. Of course we need a comprehensive program but if this is all that is on the table right now I am definitely for it.

carol

I'm glad you have drawn attention to this.