Daily News Digest September 29, 2018

This Week's Headlines: 

The top Democrat on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee said Friday that he would bring Mark Judge, a friend of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, before the panel if the Democrats take control of the House next year.

“We’re going to have to look at Judge, the more I think about it,” said Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), who’s in line to take the Oversight gavel if the House flips in November’s midterm elections.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan, in Washington, D.C., said the lawmakers have standing to sue Trump. They allege he violates the Foreign Emoluments Clause of the Constitution, as his hotels and other establishments around the world profit from spending and favors by foreign governments.

In plain terms, for all his spleen and outrage, Judge Kavanaugh lies about everything. In his earlier hearings, he lied about his judicial philosophy, and he lied about his days as a Republican operative, both in and out of the White House. On Monday, he lied to Martha McCallum of Fox News. On Thursday, he lied about his entire adolescence and his college days.

Senator, I was at the top of my class academically, busted my butt in school. Captain of the varsity basketball team. Got in Yale College. When I got into Yale College, got into Yale Law School. Worked my tail off.

It was a deflection, but the particular shield he raised was telling. His response seems to suggest a belief that a prestigious education stands as evidence of moral rightness.

Hundreds of people were preparing for a beach festival to celebrate Palu's anniversary. The festival was due to start Friday night.

Some people climbed six meter (18 feet) trees to escape the tsunami and survived, Nugroho said.