If Pop Culture Influenced Insurance Eligibility: Twelve Potential Reasons You Might Get Denied
Hat-tip ametrine of DelphiForums.
With healthcare and insurance reform still topping the charts as hot topics, Jimmy Wellington of The Fake News blog posted a good bit of snarky humor: Woman Denied Health Coverage After Chance Encounter With Jack Bauer
Below are the top 12 pre-existing conditions for which someone could get denied health coverage in Jimmy's piece -- but do go read the whole thing.
- Do you ever beam down to an alien planet while wearing a red shirt?
- Does your boyfriend or relative have supernatural powers that he uses to save innocent people on a regular basis?
- Do you do menial work for the Dharma Initiative?
- Is your best friend a werewolf?
- Are you a black person who finds themselves and their group of white friends in a scary or supernatural situation?
- Do you ever find yourself between Al Sharpton and a camera?
- When the entire world blacks out and sees 6 months into the future, did you see nothing?
- Does your school librarian keep many books about witchcraft, werewolves, and, most importantly, vampires?
- Have you recently seen a car with two good-looking FBI agents and a lot of sexual tension between them?
- Are you frequently in a car driven by a member of the Kennedy family?
- Have you seen a 1950’s British Police Box in your neighborhood – especially if you don’t live in the 1950s or Britain?
- Did you have a dream of you and all your friends dying in a horrible accident, but told everyone about your premonition and saved most of you?
I must say, perhaps I'm a tad prudish but I wasn't overly fond of the Kennedy reference -- p'raps because of the relatively recent passing of Senator Kennedy, and need for MA residents to elect someone to finish his term. But otherwise, my favorite references were the red-shirt and Doctor Who ones...yeah, I'm a sci-fi nut.
Anywho, those ought to give folks a few moments of illusory enjoyment before the crushing realities of the day encroach on our minds once again...
[ed. note -CM1] Bumped and promoted. Originally posted: 2010-01-19 09:31:08 -0500.