Weekly News November 8-11, 2018

It is 727 days until the next election. Enjoy the wins and the delicious servings of karma that were handed out Tuesday night. Now, we get back to work.

This Week's Headlines: 
11/07/2018

Donald Trump has installed a crony to oversee the special counsel's Trump-Russia investigation, crossing a red line set to protect the investigation. By replacing Rod Rosenstein with just-named Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker as special counsel Robert Mueller's boss on the investigation, Trump has undercut the independence of the investigation. Whitaker has publicly outlined strategies to stifle the investigation and cannot be allowed to remain in charge of it. The Nobody Is Above the Law network demands that Whitaker immediately commit not to assume supervision of the investigation. Our hundreds of response events are being launched to demonstrate the public demand for action to correct this injustice. We will update this page as the situation develops.

11/08/2018

A shooting at a restaurant in Thousand Oaks, California, has caused multiple injuries, local authorities said late Wednesday, with the perpetrator believed to be still at large.

11/08/2018

It wasn’t until 45 minutes later that this voting mystery began to unravel. Shortly after I left the polling site, an official from the elections office called me and told me that a tweet I had posted a few weeks earlier had been brought to their attention.

11/08/2018

Sources close to Zinke said he has made it known he plans to resign his position by the end of the year. He may have to leave earlier, however, depending on what Trump thinks of the investigation the Interior’s inspector general office has referred to his Justice Department.

11/09/2018

VIDEO
Two fast-moving wildfires, the Camp Fire and Hill Fire, are scorching thousands of acres throughout California, forcing evacuations of residents and pushing the state's acting governor to declare a state of emergency.

11/09/2018

Whitaker's standing ultimately depends on the President. But continued negative coverage will get Trump's attention.

11/09/2018

Arizona Republicans and Democrats have agreed to give rural voters an extra chance to fix problems with their ballots in the count of the state’s tight Senate race.

That’s a compromise after Republicans filed a lawsuit seeking to stop urban voters from using those procedures. The settlement was announced in a Phoenix courtroom Friday afternoon.