If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

• Posted on: 24 September 2008
  • By: Dopeman

I can't begin to imagine the storm of noise and distraction that will be coming in the next few days from the Republican campaign. Rush will be required listening in my car tomorrow.

That leaves McCain with two unpalatable choices. He can oppose a major Republican initiative that the administration says is essential to preventing a full-blown recession, and risk heavy blame if the prediction comes true. Or he can vote for an extraordinarily costly bailout, which many Americans seem to resent, just when polls show him falling farther behind Obama.

Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., said he has not found any Republican colleagues who say the proposed bailout "is popular in their district."

It happens to be a Friday when it happens (advantage: McCain) so who knows if the real story will be around on Monday. We can only hope. The only chance it has would be if it becomes part of the initial Why McCain wants to skip the debate narrative. This is a bold and brilliant move (if it works, which it just might) out of an inflicted-by-your-own-side no-win situation.

If McCain supports the Bush position then he's... well, supporting the Bush position and that hurts him. If he opposes, then he is on the side of those who will let the evil/scary _______ destroy we patriotic Amerrcans, getting blown back by his own party's noise machine. It may sound ridiculous, but his base is hard-wired to receive that message. They are bubble-wrap and duct-taping their checkbooks as we speak. Bush is going to SAVE THEM from the evil/scary _______.

As for Obama, he wins either way. Oppose the Bush plan, always popular among his base (and most of everyone else), or sign-on "in bipartisan support to avoid this crisis that was cause by..."

I wonder about the $700B Bush proposal and subsequent events they knew would follow (things like pesky Dems in Congress wanting to add stuff too it). I wonder if there is more, what's coming next... or if that was it. Was that the hail mary or was that just the one that we thought was the last play, before they secretly have another :30 added to the clock as we celebrate and use it to jog into the end zone to their awaiting packs of cheerleaders and lawyers.

Did they get shocked by their own doctrine? In Keithspeak, did the McCain campaign get "BUSHED!"?

Disaster Capitalism in Action
Now is the Time to Resist Wall Street's Shock Doctrine

Naomi Klein

I wrote The Shock Doctrine in the hopes that it would make us all better prepared for the next big shock. Well, that shock has certainly arrived, along with gloves-off attempts to use it to push through radical pro-corporate policies (which of course will further enrich the very players who created the market crisis in the first place...).

Was that it? Was the hail mary something that would only work if the $700B no-limit Texas funeral for the constitution had passed in urgency that first weekend? The what? They spent how much?

I can't imagine that was it. They had to see the Dem opposition coming and surely calculated the position it would put their guy in... but this latest move makes me think maybe not! Unless it's all just smoke and mirrors and the purpose of the whole thing from the beginning would be to avoid the debate?

McCain's only play is this hokey "we must postpone the debates to save our nation from this financial crisis, together with Obama in bipartisan blah blah blah...". Is this as pathetic as it seems? It can't be. Was that really all they had? I can't imagine that it is, and that's scary.

But in the mean time, I'm looking forward to Friday night's all-Obama all the time one-man debate!

x-posted at dkos.

Comments

Thank you for the link to Klein's article. I haven't had time to go looking to see, but I have been wondering if she would write about the current mess, the bailout proposals.

Ever since the events started unfolding over the past month, and since I had recently read Shock Doctrine, everything seemed freakily outlined: The shock, the numbness, the populace gladly accepting guidance from those "whose know what to do." The other predictor, of course, has been Phillips, and his Bad Money, illustrating how the financial industry is the industry we protect... unlike the "letting them sort it out for themselves" for industries such as the dot coms that occasionally actually make things.