Mission: To encourage citizen ownership of transparent, participatory democracy

John Gideon, 1947 - 2009

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It's a sad moment for advocates of participatory democracy and for all who believe that their vote should count, if it doesn't already. 

Vietnam vet John Gideon died last night after 62 years.  I hope that he rests peacefully and satisfied with the work he's done.

He was one of the cofounders of VotersUnite.org, a non-partisan election-integrity advocacy organization, and writer of Bradblog's "Daily Voting News."

I won't say much since I did not share the gift of his friendship, of which Brad Friedman writes eloquently.  But I won't say that I didn't know John Gideon even though we never exchanged emails or phone calls, or met in person.  

That's because, in the years of publishing "Daily Voting News," I recognized the voice of a man who dedicated his best efforts to doing what he had to do, only because it was the necessary and right thing to do.

John Gideon continually amazed me with his ability to keep a comprehensive timely record of voting news from all around the country--a heroic effort to ensure that every American's vote is accurately counted.

He brought us all that news day after day: an invaluable service to those who strive to be able to assure their fellow citizens that "that won't happen in the next election."

I didn't know him personally, but I knew John Gideon.  He was the kind of person that I always hope to meet face to face, as a tireless soul who did what he felt must be done, regardless of whether or not we ever said to him, "Great job!"

Great job, John.

His devotion will be missed.  May he rest in peace.

No votes yet